Image Citation: http://scienceprogress.org/2008/09/genetic-privacy-in-practice/
Students' misconceptions when learning about genetics is centred around the patterns of inheritance, the deterministic nature of genes, and with genetic technologies.
Patterns of Inheritance
Image Citation: http://amaic-kingdavid.blogspot.ca
- Dominant alleles are superior to recessive alleles.
- Dominant alleles are more likely to be inherited.
- Dominant alleles are more likely to be adaptive.
- Dominant alleles regulate the expression of recessive alleles.
- Mutations are recessive.
The Deterministic Nature of Genes
Image Citation: http://www.psychologytoday.com
- Genotype to phenotype is deterministic.
- Traits are a product of a single gene.
- Mutations cause strong phenotypic changes.
- Punnett Squares are understood as deterministic rather than probabilistic.
Image Citation: http://www.earthtimes.org/
- Genetics is used to improve phenotypes and create novel organisms with enhanced characteristics.
- Genetic research and technology can lead to curing disease.
- Misunderstanding on the limitation of genetic research.